What group concept would you like to see?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hazard

Re: What group concept would you like to see?

Post by Hazard » Sat May 08, 2021 2:49 am

I think an entire flock of warlocks (infernal/abyssal) would be pretty cool. Seeing all those pokemon and blasts.
It's simple, but awesome.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sat May 08, 2021 3:21 am

I've always wanted to do a group of information brokers. Completely neutral, no sides. Just people who trade in information, secrets, lore etc. Maybe for my next character idea! :)

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat May 08, 2021 4:27 am

Oh oh oh.

Commiserating UD cavaliers and a bard playing coconuts.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm

Opustus wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:27 am
Oh oh oh.

Commiserating UD cavaliers and a bard playing coconuts.
I really broke out into laughter with this one.

gix gix

Post by gix gix » Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 pm

as soon as it is possible:
a bunch of goblin riders on worgs and spiders....

sadly goblins can't mount horses up to now till they are technically shaped"

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm

An entire faction of pure class commoners.

Cowbot

Post by Cowbot » Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 am

I agree with the commoner faction.

I think having a pool of relatively easily-influenced commoners would open up tons of fun RP for all sorts of groups across the server. Just make a group of very pliable people, open to corruption, redemption, extortion, or protection. I think a healthy and stable neutral group would be great.

Evil groups need people who can get desperate enough to sell their souls, and good groups need people to help overcome addiction, family disputes, or other things.

It's something I've considered playing before. Just play someone whose soul job it is to make friends and be fun to be around, and then have them get mistreated by every evil faction on the server.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 am
A goodly Mulhorandi regiment that cleans up Sibayad and manages to twist the arms of the dev staff into giving the poor place proper settlement mechanics. I have a shelved PC ready and waiting.
Less goodly and more neutrality. Sibayad is the closest the surface has to a neutral trade town (in between settlement army raids or knightly orders) and would be a shame to lose that.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon May 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Cowbot wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:12 am
I agree with the commoner faction.

I think having a pool of relatively easily-influenced commoners would open up tons of fun RP for all sorts of groups across the server. Just make a group of very pliable people, open to corruption, redemption, extortion, or protection. I think a healthy and stable neutral group would be great.

Evil groups need people who can get desperate enough to sell their souls, and good groups need people to help overcome addiction, family disputes, or other things.

It's something I've considered playing before. Just play someone whose soul job it is to make friends and be fun to be around, and then have them get mistreated by every evil faction on the server.
Thirding the commoner faction! I know it's annoying as heck to build a commoner (I did the math...at least 542.5 hours at RPR 20 without a MoD) but having a group of people to consistently do commoner RP with would be helpful to that end.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue May 11, 2021 3:34 am

Coven of witches and friends being hag-like and operating in the wilderness as opposed to settlements. Meetings in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night. Making odd deals etc. It's not a unique idea and has happened before to some extent a few times but with more and more activities being planned well in advance I miss some of the random events I'd encounter out in the wilderness before.

Maybe my recent playtime just hasn't lined up well and it is a "just me" thing.

Grimspark
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Grimspark » Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 am

gix gix wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 pm
as soon as it is possible:
a bunch of goblin riders on worgs and spiders....

sadly goblins can't mount horses up to now till they are technically shaped"
I'm in where do I sign up!? we'll just start it now and be ready when we can ride ;P

kinginyellow

Post by kinginyellow » Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 am

The Merry men.

Step 1: Dress in era appropriate clothing for the Rennaisance. Plumed hats are mandatory.
Step 2: Craft Gonnes and Gonne slugs for every member bar their superior.
Step 3: In PVE and PVP, always maintain firing line formation, only fire gonne when the superior orders it.
Step 4: Include bard with drums and a trumpet who will support their brothers in arms with uplifting music.

Ensure the commanding officer uses a sabre (scimitar). Pester the devs to include tall hats.
Also have spears on hand for "affixing bayonets".

Hedgehog
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Hedgehog » Thu May 13, 2021 4:04 am

Nice...I've been involved with some of these very exact concepts. :}

How they're being described is so ironically familiar, in fact . :lol:
I’ve got the power of god and anime on my side!

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 am

Changing my answer. A group of troglodyte bandits or pirates who only rob people for food.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 am

a group of commoners loaded to the teeth and ready to show the bourgeoise adventurer class that its harvesting season
🤡

Pippo

Post by Pippo » Thu May 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 am
a group of commoners loaded to the teeth and ready to show the bourgeoise adventurer class that its harvesting season
loaded of money, or of fire bombs/acid bombs/powder kegs....? :twisted:

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 pm

A neutral city in the Shadow Plane that demands you sign a contract upon entry. The agreement is that a spell is cast upon you, and when you leave the city, your memory of everything that happened within is lost.

What happens in Mist Town, truly stays in Mist Town 😏

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Pippo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Red Ropes wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 am
loaded of money, or of fire bombs/acid bombs/powder kegs....? :twisted:
Gonnes
Tove Auburnridge

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 pm

How about a divine version of the arcane tower, maybe call it the divine temple or something. A place where most gods are at least tolerated and can be worshiped and divine characters can train and study divine stuff.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat May 15, 2021 2:58 am

Exordius wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 pm
How about a divine version of the arcane tower, maybe call it the divine temple or something. A place where most gods are at least tolerated and can be worshiped and divine characters can train and study divine stuff.
A Parthenon? I really like this idea as well. It’d be cool for a cleric running a temple to do this
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Skalding

Post by Skalding » Sat May 15, 2021 5:03 pm

I made a drag queen character a few months ago, and would love to see a sickening house of queens sashaying through Arelith! The RP I've experienced has been so inspiring, and I think there's immense untapped story potential.

Drag Queen enchantresses
Drag Queen thieving by night, respectable commoner by day
A troupe of Drag Queen bards?!

The House of Spellaganza is always open! Or anyone else's house idea would be equally amazing.

Wolfgangvondi

Post by Wolfgangvondi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:01 am

Also, the other narrative difficulty with the organized crime arc is the availability of wealth and the lack of classism. A lot of great mafia shows are really mythologized stories of the "working man."

It's why, I think, a lot of Arelithian evil just eventually winds up into fanatacism and occultism and all the "Big" evil stuff. It's hard to go after the, "we will find wealth and power through clandestine practices and thuggery" when you can steamroll dungeons for hundreds of thousands of gold. It's hard corrupt cops in a land of paladins (without resorting to devilry); it's hard to be angry "at the man" and support the poor, when there really are no poor, etc.
Well, my main char is poor (and is epic lvls). : P

Also, about classism.. Theres chars that are leaders of strong groups/factions/citys (and noble houses).. Theres chars that are just starting... and theres the in betewen.. it can be views like some kind of simplyfied classisim? Yes, i know its not something "imposed" like in irl.

My vote would go also for something like an large group thats is of other planet / plane of existence. Something that would have a great impact, whit out using the "evil arch". Im not lore wise to know how that would be played out.. but imagine folks/beings that are so diferent (and in nunber) that diference on its own would be an "stone" throw in the waters of the server. How would the good folks deal whit it? and the evil ones? How would up set the existent powers?

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm

I'd like to see a group that is focused on organized protection of Arelith vs. malicious interests, but isn't really tied into politics, borders, religion, species, or nobility. A more relaxed and egalitarian defense force, largely doing the work for a combination of altruism and excitement.

A few people have tried for this sort of thing already, but it tends to be difficult to maintain due to the fluid nature of the concept. Still, I hope to eventually see something like this take off.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Bunnysmack wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm
I'd like to see a group that is focused on organized protection of Arelith vs. malicious interests, but isn't really tied into politics, borders, religion, species, or nobility. A more relaxed and egalitarian defense force, largely doing the work for a combination of altruism and excitement.

A few people have tried for this sort of thing already, but it tends to be difficult to maintain due to the fluid nature of the concept. Still, I hope to eventually see something like this take off.
I believe the reason why they tend to fail is because either:
1. Relies on DM-narrated characters to be the baddies (great for small servers like Ravenloft about 5-6 years ago), or
2. Overzealous nature and/or sheer larger numbers that doesn't permit baddies to get any leads.

WoW has shown us exactly why it's hard to maintain a group like this. Not because IC relational differences that exist between certain races, religions or cultures, but because conflict breeds RP and a group like that defies that law.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Bunnysmack wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm

Except for the religion part this was pretty much the Gauntlet which I kept running for nearly 3 RL years and is still around now. They weren't tied to politics (Emma was literally the only one who really got involved in Politics and this was her being representative of the Church, not the Gauntlet. She even let Tristan manage the Gauntlet during this time. And temporary Gauntlet members sometimes joined the government like Konstantin to help out. But would then separate temporarily from the Gauntlet as well), borders (Gauntlet operates in every settlement on the Surface), species (We had humans, elves, half-elves, halflings, orcs) or nobility. We accepted literally anyone who wasn't a baddie and wanted to protect the island . We've also let plenty of baddies run story lines without smacking them down instantly. Except for the Void Cult wars, we did very little PVP and were/are still mostly focused on storytelling and RP narrative.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled