Roleplay Experience

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Watchful Glare

Roleplay Experience

Post by Watchful Glare » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:25 pm

I'll be the first one to say it then. Can we please get the ticks back to 120? That did very well in getting rid of the importance of grinding and the sensation of hurry that come with it. It was a very decent amount that felt worthwhile no matter the level.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Killer on the drive home

Re: Roleplay Experience

Post by Killer on the drive home » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 am

I just agree.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Chosen Son

Post by Chosen Son » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 am

Agree 100%. Really felt like one didn't need to grind anymore and could take rp and adventures as they came without worrying about XP gain.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 am

Y’all are seriously baiting me with these thread titles today.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:01 am

I agree, it was a nice change. I was excited by the possibility it offered when leveling a weaker "RP build" who could repeat easier writs and hang out while getting enough XP trickling in to feel like you advance a little. Now it's back to a crawl at 1/3 the speed, I don't know.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 am

I really liked that adventure XP had been decoupled from RPR. It felt like a more level playing field.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:54 am

All right, I'm just going to go ahead and say it.

I'm extremely disappointed in the community as a whole (at least those who even lean into this thought process) with this entire statement.
I understand the comfort and benefit of the increase in the XP either from those 5ish minute ticks or from the completion of writs. The fact that it was lessened (tweaked) was an understandable step in trying to make things improved, but not so out and fast that you're shooting from tiny newbie to expert in all of the martial/magical/divine arts in a week. (Yes of course you can obtain it still if you're a 'no-lifer' who run grinds, that was always gonna be an option on a PW)

Ultimately, the XP gains have been increased from prior numbers, even if they got lowered a bit. Balancing is give and take, whether it's an individual class or the entire game's effects. And for that I lend my wholehearted gratitude to those who may have proposed, debated, defended, and enacted these changes. I like them, and if they were COMPLETELY rolled back, I would actually understand that. Technically there was nothing wrong with them, but the change in itself was always welcome.

At this point the subject of these changes need to be left in the hands of the folks with the data, not only of the numbers of what they're rolling out but the collected player behavior that they are basing these changes on. Not us. As it's entirely clear that everyone will never be happy. Instead I'm watching friends and people I deeply admire be hurt by this continued antagonistic 'it's still not good enough' thread baiting.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 am

Echohawk wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:54 am
IN THEIR SPARE TIME.
I'll just let you know that doing something in your spare time doesnt automatically make it good. :lol: :lol:
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 am

Echohawk wrote:
A yikesworthy post
Yikes.

We're entitled to an opinion and we have a forum specifically to share it.

Chosen Son

Post by Chosen Son » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 am

Further more I thought the initial posts respectful and in no way harassing.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:29 am

Echohawk wrote:
Yikes
You are entitled to your own opinion, your own take, and your own experiences. But so are others. If you find yourself in the minority when it comes to an opinion, ranting about the moral standing of those you disagree with or about ones own virtue does not add any weight to what ultimately is personal experience.

No one here was being disrepectful, but sharing their opinions; right or wrong we are entitled to them. And I believe no one was being abrasive in their communication of it. The developers will do, as they have always done, what they believe is best. However I choose to believe this forum exists so the players can comment on such things with their feedback, because the team is interested in what the community says or thinks.

I am sorry you disagree with our experiences and thoughts on the matter, but opinions are meant to be varied after all. I hope you have a great day at the time of reading this.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Dari

Post by Dari » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:37 am

I played 2 days ago with 120xp and it was a blast now I heard it changed back to something similar what it was.

What a shame I quite enjoyed the more xp tick rates :(
Henry Crowe - Dead

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:04 am

i will say i sympathise with echo after witnessing the toxic cesspool that is the official discord's reaction to it

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

fading

Post by fading » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am

I don't really understand the attempt to silence discussion on new game mechanics, the community has the right to voice their opinions, and sometimes the direction the developers want isn't necessarily the right one. Remember humans being ECL +1? I remember. I'm sure there was reasoning behind that decision, was still not great, and it was reversed.

I'm personally okay with either or when it comes to this. Maybe I like the 120 a bit more, but it's already quite substantial by high level, and that's all that matters. I was stuck around 22-23 on a halfling character I made a long time ago, because I decided to focus on Bendir RP, rather than dungeons. It took absolutely forever to level up purely by RPing. Not saying it should be as fast as dungeoneering, but maybe a little boost wouldn't hurt. This update is still giving that boost, so I'm personally okay with it? 100 xp instead of 120 is not that huge of a difference, for high levels.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:20 am

Reaching lvl 30 is supposed to be an accomplishment, not an entitlement.

This is not a shopping list.

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:26 am

In the end, I couldn't care less, how much XP the baseline is (10, 20, 40, 80, 120). Just that it is decoupled from this 'friends&family' RPB system.

Just same for anybody, how it should be.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:28 am

I agree that those with the data should be making these decisions. Levelling has got quicker and easier every year, but we definitely need to be wary of increasing the speed too much.

Yes, it's nicer to RP in town and not have to grind to get XP.. But why would Bob the warrior be increasing his ability for combat so quickly just by hanging around town talking? It doesn't really make sense. Let's not forget, you don't need to be epic to be RPing anyway, so what's the hurry?

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 am

Last edited by Spriggan Bride on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 am

-XXX- wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:20 am
Reaching lvl 30 is supposed to be an accomplishment, not an entitlement.

This is not a shopping list.
Whhy does lvl 30 and reaching it matters, if this is the server built on RP and the mentality that "Rp starts on 30" isnt what applies here?
If you care about your RP and story, I dont understand why you should even care how fast and how many ppl reach 30
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

kinginyellow

Post by kinginyellow » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:39 am

Changes to RP XP and even to Writ XP aren't going to stop people from going to sibayad and circlegrind orcs.

If people want to grind they're going to grind. If you make the grind take longer they're going to grind for longer.

You could even go as far as turn all xp into adventure XP and make people only get xp from ticks. You would likely find people who would use scripts that use chat commands to allow them to idle when they're not playing, if they are that dedicated to get to level 30 ASAP. If you patched that out, they'd likely do it with a randomized array of idle rp actions.

There are always going to be ways around this system, and people are going to have their reasons to want to reach level 30. Be it because mechanically their character is a pain in the Snuggybear to play until its higher level, ergo the urge to keep going for anything they're asked to do that isn't rp, be it because they want to be on a fair level ground with their peers by having the same numbers as everyone around them.

I fall on the side of making the grind more expedient. Because anytime I make a new character I have to strongly consider wether or not I really want to keep playing this game. (I.E. I hate the leveling process.)

That said I prefered it when the RP XP ticks were independent of RPR.

Edited to add more substance.
Last edited by kinginyellow on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

120 per tick of adventure exp was too high. It rewarded grinding, out of all things, because with ticks this big you dont need to RP, you dont need to ever stop grinding. Writ rewards are also instant exp when you do them for the first time and their adventure exp rewards are lower. So unless you'd turn -adventure mode on you'd always run out of adventure exp, which incentivizes you to turn -adventure on and keep the grind going. And if adventure exp incentivizes grinding and benefits heavy grinders then what is it even there for to begin with.

I like that we toned down the ticks and I like that we tied them back to RPR but still not as hard tied as before the change to 120 flat. I'm in favor of adventure exp ticks being at least partially affected by RPR.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am
120 per tick of adventure exp was too high. It rewarded grinding, out of all things, because with ticks this big you dont need to RP, you dont need to ever stop grinding. Writ rewards are also instant exp when you do them for the first time and their adventure exp rewards are lower. So unless you'd turn -adventure mode on you'd always run out of adventure exp, which incentivizes you to turn -adventure on and keep the grind going. And if adventure exp incentivizes grinding and benefits heavy grinders then what is it even there for to begin with.

I like that we toned down the ticks and I like that we tied them back to RPR but still not as hard tied as before the change to 120 flat. I'm in favor of adventure exp ticks being at least partially affected by RPR.
I think this is right. I also think there is a middle road here. For example dropping RP rate from ticks on grind loop and radically increasing the benefit from certain areas where RP only occurs. Bars, campfires in towns. Playhouses, etc.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am

Archnon wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

I think this is right. I also think there is a middle road here. For example dropping RP rate from ticks on grind loop and radically increasing the benefit from certain areas where RP only occurs. Bars, campfires in towns. Playhouses, etc.
Plenty of RP occurs outside these communal zones though, so I'm not in favour of that last idea myself. There's often enough people sitting around hubs doing little/no RP already.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am

I think Echo's point is that it's fine to dissagree with a change, so long as one does so respectfully. I havn't seen the conversations around this - so I can't say how well they've been handled. But I would ask everyone in this thread to follow that line. Don't like the change? That's fine. But please don't be rude to the staff about it.

With that said - my own opinion

So I have a high rpr (which I got before becoming a DM) and I am pretty much ambivilent, maybe even slightly pro - decoupling adventure xp from rpr xp gain. It's not a bad idea. I do feel RPRs still need their general 'extra xp' tick - there should be some benefit - but whether it needs to be as large as it is? *shrug*.

That said, I'm also glad that the 120 xp gain was reduced - because it probably does the opposite of what y'all think it does.

Let me explain.

So I think we can all agree that adventure xp is easier to get at pre-20 levels right? Because that's when the writs are yeah?

Right.

The problem is that 12x120 is 1440 xp out of your adventuring pool every hour. That's a large chunk of what most writs give you. So if you want to keep getting that nice chunk of adventure xp you really have to keep grinding at pre levels. Or else you'll get to 20 and find yourself with very little adventure xp in your pot- and little ability to gain large chunks of it later on - again neccesitating grinding orc lands over and over again.

Wheres if you have say, just 20 xp coming out per hour, that's just 240 - a lot slower yeah but also a lot easier to 'keep up with' so you can get to your level 20, and still have lots of adventure xp ticking in in a steady rate, letting you chill and rp in higher levels whilst still getting that nice dribble of xp.

That's my wonky take on it anyway.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kaymon24

Post by Kaymon24 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:44 am

We have come a long way from what the server used to be so long ago. There was a time when we had no writ work and had to get all the xp on our very own, at a very lower rate per spawn kill. There was no adventure xp. And there was no bonus xp. These updates are still better than what we used to be, but there is no lid on improvement.

In my opinion, writs were placed to make the gaming experience more enjoyable. You have a task assigned to you, you go out and explore those areas and complete that task, and return to get a push of xp and gold. The rpr boost is a excellent idea to encourage others to rp while they are still leveling their characters off xp ticks. This is a roleplaying server and any action that pushes for more rp should be strongly encouraged.

With that being said, nerfing the xp bonus (yes this is a nerf) shortly after the update has released to increase it to a flat 120 xp tick pushes us away from more rp and more towards grinding and leveling our characters. There is nothing wrong with this, but taking away any opportunity that can happen to increase rp shouldn't be done.

I love the idea to take away the flat xp bonus rate on repeated writs because there is plenty of writs out there to do and this pushes people to explore the server and go to multiple areas rather than just sit in one place and camp there causing too many players in one area. Give people more motivation with more rewards to go out and explore more of the server rather than a few places of it.

Love what we did so far with this but if we are going to push to give players more adventure xp and less flat xp bonuses from writs, we shouldn't nerf the adventure xp bonuses to give less per tick because people are going to get tired of their character's place and level and go out and grind their levels on their own anyway, resulting with a sit and chill at 30 with a huge abundance of adventure xp.