Skal Studied Enemy Guide

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Red_Wharf

Skal Studied Enemy Guide

Post by Red_Wharf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:16 am

I wrote this guide because Skal is very diverse in the amount of different NPCs you can face (and also because it could be helpful when designing new writs and dungeons for Skal), which is perfect for rangers, and due to the island's size, you never need to go too far to study an enemy.

This guide has been written in October 2021 and so is not currently acknowledging any updates released past this date. This should go without saying, but IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS, DON'T READ THIS GUIDE.

-

Aberration - (Easy)
You'll naturally encounter many of these as you quest around, but they can be more easily found in the Skaldark. There's an area full of Ettercaps just south of Myrk-Faelinn which offers an easy study. Myconids also have their own Underdark area, but Ettercaps are easier to study.

Animal - (Effortless)
They're absolutely everywhere you go.

Beast - (Medium)
Some Wendigos spawn in the Tundra and in Dun Magog. Many Yetis spawn in the Magog Underfalls too.

Construct - (Medium)
They can be found in only one place, the House of the Master, in the form of flying greatswords, greataxes, and minogons.

Dragon - (Annoying)
Elivagar's Crossing and Moinn Tarn, that's where you find Wyrmlings which do count as Dragons, although they are not the most common type of spawn.

Dwarf - (Impossible)
None spawn in Skal.

Elemental - (Very Annoying)
Air Elementals spawn in Dun Magog, but very rarely.

Elf - (Impossible)
None spawn in Skal.

Fey - (Easy)
You find many of them in the form of Satyrs in the Baccanhagen and the Grimalkin Skogkats underneath the bear cave in Elivagar's Crossing.

Giant - (Easy)
They're easy to get as a Studied Enemy due to how many giants and ogres spawn in Dun Magog and Gnipahellir.

Gnome - (Easy)
*Some spawn as Xvarts in the Tin Mines.

Goblinoid - (Easy)
From Bugbears to Goblins and Gnolls, Goblinoids can be found in Gnipahellir, Elivagar's Crossing, the Lower Falls, and the Goblin's Camp, so, nearly everywhere.

Half-elf - (Impossible)
None spawn in Skal.

Half-orc - (Impossible)
None spawn in Skal.

Halfling - (Easy)
*Some spawn as Xvarts in the Tin Mines.

Human - (Very Annoying)
Only a few spawn at a time in the Mane dungeon inside the Skaljard Stores, very annoying to study.

Magical Beast - (Annoying)
You won't find many in Skal, but you can usually find a few Manticores and Worgs in the mountainside near the Northern Trails and in Elivagar's Crossing.

Monstrous Humanoid - (Easy)
The Minotaur and Harpy dungeons provide enough for an easy study.

Ooze - (Easy)
You can't pick this one as Studied or Favored Enemy, but if you could, there's a whole ooze dungeon in the Underdark near Myrk-Faelinn.

Orc - (Easy)
You find them in the eastern Tundra and the Harbarge. Despite them being called Half-orcs, they count as Orcs.

Outsider - (Easy)
The Mephits in the Tundra and Moinn Tarn, and the Manes in the Skaljard Stores provide the Outsiders you need for the study.

Reptilian - (Easy)
They spawn in the Weald Caverns and its respective Troglodyte dungeon. They also spawn as Bullywugs in the caves near the Tin Mines.

Shapechanger - (Not Worth It)
Only one spawns in Skal, the Werecat boss in the granary in town.

Undead - (Easy)
The Ghostwood makes this a very easy enemy to study, but you can also find them in Dunmarle and the House of the Master.

Vermin - (Easy)
Plenty of vermin in the Skaljard Stores and the Ettercap area in the Underdark.

*I need confirmation for these two, but I am pretty sure Xvarts spawn as both races depending on the NPC.

**If you have any suggestions, mention them here and I'll edit this post accordingly.

fading

Re: Skal Studied Enemy Guide

Post by fading » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I don't think xvarts are categorized as halflings. At least I don't remember seeing any that weren't gnomes. Maybe I'm wrong? But I don't think so..

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:27 pm

fading wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 pm
I don't think xvarts are categorized as halflings. At least I don't remember seeing any that weren't gnomes. Maybe I'm wrong? But I don't think so..
Xvarts in the Tin mines are often Halflings
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 pm

Ordo.Lupus wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:27 pm
fading wrote:
I'm like 90% sure they are all gnomes. Lore wise, xvarts are gnomes, or were gnomes before they were corrupted. In addition, you find them all over the main island but I'm pretty sure no one farms them for halflings. I know my ranger ran the xvarts in brog 100 times and never recorded a halfling kill.

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Archnon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 pm
Ordo.Lupus wrote:
fading wrote:
I'm like 90% sure they are all gnomes. Lore wise, xvarts are gnomes, or were gnomes before they were corrupted. In addition, you find them all over the main island but I'm pretty sure no one farms them for halflings. I know my ranger ran the xvarts in brog 100 times and never recorded a halfling kill.
Did a little run through the tin mines on Skal https://imgur.com/a/1mTX1ko and all xvarts turned out to be halfling race. But I agree on the point that mainland/UD xvarts tend to be gnome race instead.
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

fading

Post by fading » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Ordo.Lupus wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:01 pm
Archnon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 pm
Ordo.Lupus wrote:

Did a little run through the tin mines on Skal https://imgur.com/a/1mTX1ko and all xvarts turned out to be halfling race. But I agree on the point that mainland/UD xvarts tend to be gnome race instead.
Was this always the case? I distinctively remember it being gnomes before. Either way, my bad for the misinformation.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Then let the great halfling and dragon hunt begin. A joyous day for rangers everywhere!

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:00 am

I distinctly remember them being gnomes.