Arelith Forest ... makes me sad. *opinion*

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Dr. B

Re: Arelith Forest ... makes me sad. *opinion*

Post by Dr. B » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:55 am

Irongron wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:04 pm
Arcbled wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 pm
I would love an area between the Heartwood and the Silver Glade that's non-hostile, filled with neutral animals/fey/etc, as a place to build a few more shrines and monuments. Maybe throw in a few NPC Rangers for defense, some lore-appropriate peddlers, an outpost for a Speedy...

Some more ways to comfortably thrive in the Forest, I suppose.
I must admit I like non hostile wilderness too, but I would need to lower fixture limit to about 15 in any such area, as players would definitely use that opportunity to turn it into a little town. Last time I attempted a non hostile 'natural' exterior was the Shyr Meadows. Within 48 hours the whole are was filled with furniture.
Why not go all in and lower it to zero? I hate fixtures and frankly think they should only be possible in player quarters and possibly a select few other areas.

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:05 am

Player made fixtures are amazing and one of the things that make Arelith stand out as a creative outlet as much as a game. Taking them away would be a travesty.

Clutter is a problem with an easy solution. Make fixtures quickly rot outside unless frequently maintained. No reason they need to last a week in the forest if no one is there to take care of them, and EVERY reason they should last a week if someone cares enough to.

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 pm
if/when the forest is reworked I really *hope* there will be a section of 5-10 screens which will work like abyss/desert but in some of those random screens there will be caravans to other sections of the forest.
I definitely do not think the forest needs to get people hopelessly lost.

Instead, wide and detailed areas of beautiful wilderness that can be mapped out and traveled with passive NPCs and 0-15 fixture limits would be amazing. Unbroken by roads, paths, ruins, or anything else. Just forest and nature!
Burin the Earthly.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:14 am

Love the idea connecting heartwood grove and Myon, at least a portal....and a tavern would be great.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 pm

Echohawk

Post by Echohawk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:27 pm

The Shyr has vast areas, but it doesn't really add anything, I personally don't like the massive = untamed feeling in general. Randomized transitions only seem to cheese those off who venture into them, even though I myself don't mind.

Too many folks focus on the assets of a server instead of bringing that area to life. I've seen camps in weird spots that probably could've generated something worthwhile at one point or another. The places are already there, it's about showing up and making the story. You can still get plenty lost in this well traversed module.

You'll always have unreachable areas that the DMs use for their storytelling.. when that happens. You don't need to let familiarity or frustration bog you down. We have a good grove, we have a good community for that grove. I can understand the desire for (pulling an idea out of a hat) new island shrouded in mists that could be a new city.. (ugh no, put that one back in the hat).

Thanks for the thread raise, bro?
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:18 am

Dr. B wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:43 pm
I remember when the Arelith forest was one area. I think the spawns were worgs. That was... 2004?
Seems accuarate.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:53 am

Nitro wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 pm
A powerful internet weapon indeed, I shall add it to my arsenal and offer this in return, with compliments

https://youtu.be/xJSayPfRmFc

Use it well.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:39 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:35 pm
(the dream is that Myon crashes into it and the elves and druids guard the remnants of the ruins, etc)
Myon got put on the ground by event at the start of the year, chief. Sadly, the dream of an elf-crater is dead.

If only the mythal would just die fully too.

Sincerely,
The Elf Players
what would fred rogers do?