Did you know? The HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

CHBanger

Did you know? The HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Post by CHBanger » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Beamdog released the The HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition today.

It is a separate download.

I did install it and the hands seem to be a bit off on some of the added robes as not part of the original sets from NWN. I realize this is a me problem.

However, wanted to let you know that it may cause some issues with the community content.

Will Arelith be working to incorporate this new update?

Regards,
CHBanger

Nitro

Re: Did you know? The HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Post by Nitro » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 am

I for one hope not, the textures, while high definition, are kind of fugly as sin. Many of the faces are just straight up gross old man looking and it clashes very strongly with the base NWN artstyle.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Did you know? The HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm

The helmets are kinda nice.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:11 pm

There are issues with the HD package that would obviously have to be resolved.

As well, it needs to be placed in your development folder mostly - but there lies an issue where our content and it needs to be aligned. 2DA differences, etc.

This will remain optional though. We don’t have any plans for it now. But you never know if it will be added by Beamdog as standard content.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 pm

I think most players are pretty fine with the textures we've had for almost 20 years. These enhanced textures look pretty hideous and whoever decided to add the pubic hair on the naked male model needs to re-examine their life choices.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 pm

I just tried the HD pack and came away pretty disappointed. HD textures, if they were not completely remodeled, are usually fine.

However a lot of clothing articles, some of them my favorite, had their model and artistic style so significantly altered to be completely unrecognizable from the original. Massive deal-breaker! Now I am sad that people with the HD pack will be seeing a character/outfit I definitely didn't design.

I really like the idea of sharpened textures, but they'd have to at least try to stay true to the game's original art/models. They didn't.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

deserk

Post by deserk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 pm

I honestly don't get people complaining about this, when this is an utterly unexpected gift from Beamdog. It's for free and it's entirely optional.

I think it's really tremendous work, they just need to do some few graphical fixes here and there. But overall this is great content, and an awesome graphical uplift. I hope they don't get discouraged from the harsh and melodramatic feedback of some people in the community. I really hope they might in the future make some more heads or armor/weapon models to give us even more variety.

I love also that so many of the heads are characteristic, tough or natural looking people, rather than every head just being flawless, soft-featured 20 year old supermodels, which is generally the sort of heads you see from the modding community.

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 am

deserk wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:23 pm
I honestly don't get people complaining about this, when this is an utterly unexpected gift from Beamdog. It's for free and it's entirely optional.

I think it's really tremendous work, they just need to do some few graphical fixes here and there. But overall this is great content, and an awesome graphical uplift. I hope they don't get discouraged from the harsh and melodramatic feedback of some people in the community. I really hope they might in the future make some more heads or armor/weapon models to give us even more variety.

I love also that so many of the heads are characteristic, tough or natural looking people, rather than every head just being flawless, soft-featured 20 year old supermodels, which is generally the sort of heads you see from the modding community.
Only reason it's 'unexpected' is because they promised it so long ago that most people forgot they were gonna do it :P
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 am

deserk wrote:

Yes, natural looking. of course.

I don't have any qualms as long as it stays optional, anyone who thinks this looks good is welcome to do so on their own time but please dear god never make it the default standard.

Curve

Post by Curve » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:34 am

Ew.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:04 am

deserk wrote:

He must work for beamdog.

La Villa Strangiato

Post by La Villa Strangiato » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 am

Obviously if you have haks new content added by the original developers is going to clash. This is simply How It Be Sometimes, and I don't really blame Beamdog for that. As an artist, this probably took a lot of time and energy! It's also optional, so it doesn't bother me too much.

The problem is that a lot of these models look like something you'd see from Fortnite or Heroforge. Cartoony, blobby where the models come together, clashing weirdly with the surroundings of the unenhanced area. It's such a sad downgrade from the art-style in that it's so generic.
Senrae
Saraskyn
Kallava Okaide
Nemerarie Athol
Rio Salazar

Curve

Post by Curve » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:56 am

It looks like Daggerfall.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 am

Let's be super honest, these models are awful. This isn't a matter of taste. It's straight up lazy modeling that's absolutely bonkers how bad it is. Look at the pelvis models, they're like 8 inch diapers all the way around. The faces are ugly, the quality is awful, and the proportions are...Awkward. It stuns me how the original models continue to be the best.

For like good things? I love some of the boot models and the wrinkles in the pants. There are some elements that are super amazing. Also, like the fuller look of the models is so nice. I always hated the arms on the original models for example they're so thin and stick like! So yeah, there are some good elements. But those are absolutely crushed by the bad ones...

I mean what in the nine hells is this ? https://i.imgur.com/jTRPMZd.jpg

Yes, I tried these HAK free so I got the 'natural' looking models. https://i.imgur.com/2rfC4Zv.jpg The faces look like the mana-starved nightborne from World of Warcraft

https://i.imgur.com/51vSKey.jpg I love the pants on this look. I just wish the rest was better.

The weapons, shields, etc pretty neat. I used those before this came out. There are good things in here but like I said, the bad stuff is so bad it's just completely cringe.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am

I thought we all collectively agreed not to advertise this since it harshly breaks with the WYSIWYG credo of Arelith.

Also the fem-hork model got wonked up hard it's ridiculous. And so the model opression of them not only continues but made even WORSE.

Camel Legs

Crooked, broken Arms, bigger than even male chunky arms (also male torsos litteraly look like chimpanzees or hulk hogans body in his 70ies)

Diapers (for all races)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:39 am

The lack of toilets in Arelith make these diapers a necessity.

On a slightly more serious note, I've no wish to integrate these options, we're actually doing better work with our in house artists.

Had Beamdog done different creature work I'd have been thrilled with climb/swim/sneak/fly animations. Overall I'm just not sure what utility this has, it feels like the beginning of a far larger, incomplete project.

deserk

Post by deserk » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:01 am

Ork wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:04 am
No, I obviously don't.

Again, you don't have to use this. It's optional. How spoiled are you, that you can be that outraged over something that is free and something you don't have to use?

By all means there are plenty of things to critique. But make it constructive so that it's actually useful feedback, rather than polemic trashing to the extent where they won't bother to do any more work on this 20-year old game that rarely ever gets any significant official updates. I am certainly not saying it is perfect. But overall it is a leap forward. We are most assuredly not going to see NWN3 any time soon, so yeah I am enthusiastic to see any graphical update on this game I've been playing since it's original release in 2002.

And hopefully Beamdog will continue to work and update this, especially in regards to fixing the proportions of a few body types (particularly elves and female models) as well as having a few of the updated armour pieces match the original pieces better.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Curve

Post by Curve » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:33 pm

wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:01 am
How spoiled are you
For real, like just shut up and enjoy these pubic hairs. I swear this community is so bad.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:43 pm

deserk wrote:
Ork wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:04 am
No, I obviously don't.

Again, you don't have to use this. It's optional. How spoiled are you, that you can be that outraged over something that is free and something you don't have to use?

By all means there are plenty of things to critique. But make it constructive so that it's actually useful feedback, rather than polemic trashing to the extent where they won't bother to do any more work on this 20-year old game that rarely ever gets any significant official updates. I am certainly not saying it is perfect. But overall it is a leap forward. We are most assuredly not going to see NWN3 any time soon, so yeah I am enthusiastic to see any graphical update on this game I've been playing since it's original release in 2002.

And hopefully Beamdog will continue to work and update this, especially in regards to fixing the proportions of a few body types (particularly elves and female models) as well as having a few of the updated armour pieces match the original pieces better.
I think that it's very fair to be critical of the company. I would not pay for these models if I had them commissioned to be made privately. These model updates are a commitment they made when they re-released and resold you the same game you already had. So yeah, I think it's appropriate to hold them to a high standard. Especially when, like so many others have pointed out, these models completely Miss the aesthetic of the game.

I will say, had they not committed to model updates the mechanical elements like the Auto hak downloader and other stability changes have been super great and worth the money. I've said this before I think they should have just focused their money on paying content creators already developing things for the game. Then focus on like whatever they could do to make the game more stable and more accessible.

These models are super bad. Well I appreciate the work I'm sure was put into them they super super miss the mark.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:16 pm

I fail to see anything that can be defined as outrage here, but I think both approval and disappointment are valid opinions.

Having really looked forward to this I really wish they'd just done the retexturing only like in their demo area from ages ago, as a lot of it looks great, detailed, and wonderfully sharp, but the modeling work doesn't look at all like NWN.

As a result the people with the pack are sometimes seeing things that people without it aren't. That's where I'm a tad miffed. This is a game where appearance can often be part of the character, and it will be difficult to tailor what one wants others to see as a part of that.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 am

These screenshots are hilarious and I'm more than willing to suspend my immersion to run with this pack for the next month or two 😂

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:23 am

deserk wrote:

Are you saying we shouldn't call them out for delivering what is obviously a subpar part of the product they promised years ago? That we should let them get away with what looks to be either outsourcing to the cheapest bidder or making an underpaid intern do the modeling work? That we should praise the fact that they made anything at all even if it happens to be bad in the hope that they'll continue to make more stuff just as bad in the future?

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:29 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 am
These screenshots are hilarious and I'm more than willing to suspend my immersion to run with this pack for the next month or two 😂

.... so I'm just a joke to you ;< !!! Don't look at meh!