In game public message boards and criers can go

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: In game public message boards and criers can go

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Again i'm not entirely convinced that this is needed, but... what do people think?
I don't believe that this is a good idea. Anonymous messages are helpful for political and social chicanery. If someone wants to better defend against them then they can do that through rp by crafting a stronger reputation, being more secretive or finding more vocal/beneficial allies.

Cowards and discord sowers shouldn't be penalized based on others being meta or targets having delicate sensibilities.

Xarge VI wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 pm

But I think making quill and ink necessary to write papers would be good. Hunting down harnak seeds, vials and iron ore might in some cases calm that hysteric social media style trigger finger a bit. Not that I think outraged declarations in themselves are bad- but it's all about nuances.

Paper is used for a great many things other than nuisance posts on boards. I would rather like to not see it get more cumbersome for mages, scholars and lore masters just for this.
Xarge VI wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 pm

I also think that tyrannical government leaders should be able to moderate the city message boards and criers too. But not absolutely. There should always be a tinfoil hat wearing gnome somewhere that rogues and maybe bards can access to view what the boards have actually contained.
I believe this would only include Bendir and Brogendenstein (and maybe Myon to some extent) since the other settlements have NPC rulers. And the DMs will remove messages that have been reported and found to be out of bounds.

Being able to be stealthy in posts opens more options for conflict. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to their being a skill check for writing similar to track that gives characters a way to narrow down their search without outright giving a name. Then there would be an easier way to retaliate rather than doing it KGB style.
stoneheart- wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:29 pm
Disinformation, propaganda, and general anonymous lying are valid avenues of RP, for conflict and otherwise, and the message boards enable that in a big way. It's one of the things that makes Arelith unique, and getting rid of that would make the server objectively worse.
This. Lying about what happened, making spin, manipulations and intimidations are all fine. Characters have no obligation to tell the truth even remotely if its within their alignment, intent or background to lie about it. Regardless of what the IG facts are. That's completely valid. To me, the IG question would be "why are people buying what they're selling?" instead of nuking the boards.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm
There's nothing wrong the the current arrangement. Treat it IC. Report stuff you think is meta.
Agree with this.
Remember that, just like with social media in real life, your character doesn't have to engage with the noise that happens on the boards. Don't feed the trolls as they say.

And if a paladin believes some random person on a board then goes out to hunt down your character, because Anonymous said so, then this paladin is Lawful Stupid, and it says more about them than it does about you.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Ork wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:35 pm
I think the OP however is having an incident of "I don't agree with whats bring roleplayed" and that's really not a reason to change a system.
Well, since ad hominem is the usual route to take with forums, and you have thrown that down, explain to me, where, what, how with what is written by me that you came to such a conclusion and aren't making a baseless statement? No really, make it good. Want to call my motives into question, here is the reverse of that. Put up, I'd greatly appreciate it if you do. Or, you can do the civil thing, and back off that last statement, if you do not mind.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:09 pm
Ork wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:35 pm
I think the OP however is having an incident of "I don't agree with whats bring roleplayed" and that's really not a reason to change a system.
Well, since ad hominem is the usual route to take with forums, and you have thrown that down, explain to me, where, what, how with what is written by me that you came to such a conclusion and aren't making a baseless statement? No really, make it good. Want to call my motives into question, here is the reverse of that. Put up, I'd greatly appreciate it if you do. Or, you can do the civil thing, and back off that last statement, if you do not mind.
Frankly, let's take a look at your frequent feedback topics that you have started. Many of them are specifically designed to severely curtail and/or control narrow aspects of the game and seem heavily influenced by in-game events. Now I'm not saying what orc is saying is true, but there certainly is a certain pattern here.

> Settlement leadership by PCs needs to be shelved, Paladin RP is poor

> Will try the server again at a later time.

> Feel PvP rebuild tokens need to be a thing.

> Can a DM be called on to rule on past event's factuality?

> In game public message boards and criers can go

To me this does not seem like a sudden spark of inspiration, but an attempt to control ongoing events.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 pm
To me this does not seem like a sudden spark of inspiration, but an attempt to control ongoing events.
So, basically, nothing specifically said here in this thread, where I specifically called out the assertion of this as some sort of emotional reaction to some IG event, happening, with my character?

Right, go look, look where you want. Show me where Dethos is entangled in some issue on a public message forum IG. I'll wait.

Now, the other half of that, a specific effort by myself, to push for a change in game, due to being unhappy with my character's current state?

That right there, is an assertion that needs to be pointed out. I have a viewpoint, that viewpoint is come to by the things I see in the game, where I feel it can be changed for the better. Saying 'they are just upset about how things are going in game' is not a rebuttal to that, nowhere near so. It is an attempt to cast an aspersion of sorts plain and simple, and not address any of what was actually said.

So, unless someone can point to this supposed incident taking place IG currently, that is driving me to try and change things for emotional reasons on the forum, I'd appreciate a little courtesy of not trying to manufacture a motivation as to support an aspersion.

Thank you.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:47 pm

If I was incorrect in my earlier assumption I do apologise, though the points I made reguarding it in general stand.

Reguardless - we won't be removing messange boards. Criars are, I'll admit, on shakier grounds, but at present there are also no plans to remove those.

I'm locking this thread.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)