Massive Accidental Character Breaks (Embarassing!)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Majieu

Massive Accidental Character Breaks (Embarassing!)

Post by Majieu » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Oh my god... :oops:

I was playing today in between working on some documents and accidentally pasted and spoke a half wall of subjects I was studying through my character... In a populated area, doing a quick character-focused RP with people I don't normally RP with...

My character speaks in the third person a lot, has a weird name, and I type like poo-poo often (must be getting old or something) so I take advantage of copy+paste a lot... But I almost feel reluctant to after this last incident...

This has to have happened to almost everyone at some point but I had to vent about it... Feel like a doof.

Words of advise or consolation? Get guud & type fast? I'm on the suck it up bit now..! :lol:

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Massive Accidental Character Breaks (Embarassing!)

Post by Aradin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 pm

Mistakes happen to everyone! I wouldn't sweat it.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Paint

Post by Paint » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 am

I have... I think meta'd myself a couple of times while in disguise like an idiot. Additionally...

I like to use the quote style of emoting so I narrate my characters usually by typing their name first. Ester does this, Elysian does that, etc etc.

Once or twice, when switching from one character I've been playing for awhile to another, I've instinctively used the name of the last character I was on rather than the character I'm on now, and it never fails to make me feel stupid.

As a side note, Arelith has ruined my typing. I almost impulsively want to end every statement I make with a quotation mark now.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm

My big blunder we where in a drow hunt years back. Then I got a tell from someone. Now I thought I clicked his icon to send a tell back and quickly wrote and hit enter. Only to blurt out the tell in character. Little did I know a JJ the server owner of that time was looking at our RP and jumped in when it happened to give a sern talk to and RPR drop me from 20 to 10.

Majieu

Post by Majieu » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:22 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm
My big blunder we where in a drow hunt years back. Then I got a tell from someone. Now I thought I clicked his icon to send a tell back and quickly wrote and hit enter. Only to blurt out the tell in character. Little did I know a JJ the server owner of that time was looking at our RP and jumped in when it happened to give a sern talk to and RPR drop me from 20 to 10.
I felt my imaginary RPR drop to 0... Hahahah.
Yeah that sounds like a good one, too. Makes feel a little bit better... :lol:

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:19 pm

You know how "w" and "s" are very close to each other on the keyboard? And they don't suddenly get farther apart because you're playing a soft-spoken, reserved character?

It was sheer luck that what I was trying to whisper wasn't anything important, but I nearly reflex-rolled to have her "die of mortification" all the same.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 pm

The worst ones I have are when I fat-finger the [enter] key when I am actually trying to type a ['] or a ["] and post my post before I'm done correcting grammatical errors or even finished typing....

OH or when my brain decides to replace a word I'm trying to type with one that looks or sounds similar. Happens all the freaking time.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 am

Everyone have their own embarrassing stories about stuff they accidentally said in public when it was meant to be a Tell. It happens, its embarrassing for sure, and it passes. Really dont sweat over it.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

CNS

Post by CNS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm

"Great day we're having"wwwww

Majieu

Post by Majieu » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 am
Everyone have their own embarrassing stories about stuff they accidentally said in public when it was meant to be a Tell. It happens, its embarrassing for sure, and it passes. Really dont sweat over it.
Of this I am sure, and it is passing... Thank you. But to clarify it was a semi critical moment for my character plus it was like;

"Ohhhh....?! TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE / TITLE"

And then it auto sent in front of a bunch of characters because I also copied a line break... Hahahah.

Pretty sure a member of my faction in the distance emoted about looking at me weird, too. Almost over it, almost.. :lol:

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 pm

When I first started on Arelith I played only the one same character for like a year. When I made my first alt I said “Hello, my name is (Wrong Name)!” … several times

Huelander

Post by Huelander » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:17 pm

"

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Leave me out of this
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Alpine Fresh

Post by Alpine Fresh » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:33 am

It could be worse... I've sent portions of text out on work e-mail using an IC accent that I just got too used to typing in >.<

PlunderBunny
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by PlunderBunny » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:02 am

This is gonna sound fake, but I swear to God I've done this... no joke, there were times back in high school when, sleep-deprived after staying up way too late RPing on NWN, instead of just laughing when a friend at school said something funny, I legit started to say "Laughs" out loud. As though I was typing an emote.

:oops:

I'm not sure I've ever been so self-critical as in the moments after I unintentionally said an emote out loud in RL.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:57 pm

Paint wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 am
I have... I think meta'd myself a couple of times while in disguise like an idiot. Additionally...

I like to use the quote style of emoting so I narrate my characters usually by typing their name first. Ester does this, Elysian does that, etc etc.

Once or twice, when switching from one character I've been playing for awhile to another, I've instinctively used the name of the last character I was on rather than the character I'm on now, and it never fails to make me feel stupid.

As a side note, Arelith has ruined my typing. I almost impulsively want to end every statement I make with a quotation mark now.
"Why are you talkimg in third person and describing all your literal action?" :p

When this writing style phenomenon hit arelith, it hit me hard lol. I feel so wishy washy about how i want to rp now

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:13 pm

One that happened more recently than I'm willing to admit:

When asked why I was so much shorter than the other gnomes (I'm a forest gnome):

"I'm not a rock gnome, I'm a garden gnome!"

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:46 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:12 pm
Leave me out of this
"

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:12 am

Arienette wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:57 pm
When I first started on Arelith I played only the one same character for like a year. When I made my first alt I said “Hello, my name is (Wrong Name)!” … several times
Happened to me once, the crowd went along and started calling my character the wrong name that I had introduced for my character.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:30 pm

Kenji wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:12 am
Arienette wrote:
Happened to me once, the crowd went along and started calling my character the wrong name that I had introduced for my character.
I don't care what you call all your others chars. You will always be Soirin.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:01 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:13 pm
One that happened more recently than I'm willing to admit:

When asked why I was so much shorter than the other gnomes (I'm a forest gnome):

"I'm not a rock gnome, I'm a garden gnome!"
"puts his red conical hat back on his little head"

my best one was a missed whisper in the meeting hall that went as a shout with the person we were talking about, in the middle of trying to talk their way out of their mistakes as a guard. My screen lit up with lol from everyone present
Yes I can sign

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:26 am

Morgy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:30 pm
Kenji wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:12 am
Arienette wrote:
I don't care what you call all your others chars. You will always be Soirin.
:heart: