Pre update Fishing feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Pre update Fishing feedback

Post by DM Starfish » Thu May 12, 2022 12:37 pm

Hello there fishing aficionados,

If you've noticed any bugs or weird things with fishing please post them below as I am within a few days of the next fishing release and I'm in the polishing phase. This release will include fish containers.

Things that I have confirmed or have already fixed include:

- Iron/Damask stacking weirdness
- NPC stores with old rods
- Tentacles not being used in the T3 platter
- Mobs not spawning when it says they will
- AFK kick while fishing
- *digs*
- A lack of food recipes
- A lack of fishing spots
Roleplay is a two way street.

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Pre update Fishing feedback

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu May 12, 2022 3:18 pm

A lot of the current potion recipes don't seem to give enough yield vs the amount of time it takes to farm all of the materials. It would be nice if the material cost was reduced, so fisher/herbalists could make things to sell. Or leave the material cost the same but massively increase the number of potions you get from it, like 10 potions or something. Because as it is right now the amount of time invested in trying to collect all of the materials isn't worth what you can make with it. For example, I've not seen a single gill potion for sale anywhere. What the potion asks for is very out of line with what it makes. In contrast, I've actually seen the Kohlingen water breathing potions for sale in shops. It's easier to sail to Kohlingen and grab the bottles there than it is to make a gills potion.

A lot of these potions are significantly harder to make than healing potions, where the only major stumbling point is obtaining king's crown.

Some things should be considered with fishing recipes:
-The amount of time required to fish. It has a progress bar, there's a significant time investment into fishing.
-Crafting point investment to make bait. You're spending crafting points and resources to make the bait to fish.
-RNG. You're not always going to catch the fish you need or get the rare drop from a fish, which amplifies the amount of time spent fishing as well as the crafting point investment for more bait. Huge bait doesn't guarantee you a useful fish, you're going to be catching a lot of lunkers while you try to catch sturgeons or sunfish.
-Travel time and travel difficulty. A lot of recipes call for fish from all over the island, or fish from deep sea waters where you need to travel with a group of players to handle the things that will spawn. The only other resources that have this sort of difficulty investment are runic materials or addy. People doing ocean fishing are going to be with groups aiming for endgame content.

Compare all of this with the ease in which a herbalist can go and make healing potions. They just need to run and get king's crown, lady's tear, bottles, fruit/salt for mojo, and alexandrite to grind into dust (assuming the herbalist has some ranks in art for dust making). It takes actual hours of work to get together the materials to make some of these fishing potions, which are less useful than healing potions. This is why fishing potions aren't in shops.

A breakdown of the recipes:
Oread's Elixir takes granite, lumpfish fluid (hard to get, requires ocean sailing in water where you absolutely need a skilled sailing crew or else you will die, and even then lumpfish are a rare catch), 4 tough shells, and an ammonite shell which is in the underdark. For all of this, you only get 3 potions. It's far too much effort for a potion that only casts stoneskin.

The Elemental Aegis Brew requires 3 blue tetra, 3 green tetra, 3 pink tetra, 1 lumpfish fluid, and 3 rainbow scales. It only produces 3 protection from elements potions, which casters with the brew potion feat can make far easier. Even without the lumpfish fluid requirement, farming that many fish takes a lot of time even if they are common fish.

The potion of feather falling recipe produces only 1 potion, and all it does is reduce fall damage from climb. It requires an eagle feather, salt, mojo, and 4 sail fins. That's a lot of materials for a single potion that is very low on being desired. Could the potion also boost climb skill temporarily? This would make it very useful for casters without climb to make climb checks in dungeons. It would give this potion a very unique benefit that people would be interested in.

Potion of gills are very niche, water breathing is pretty much only used by people doing EXTREMELY property gated content. There are very, very few diving bells on the server, none of them on rentable ships. The recipe takes 1 cod liver, 4 dark roe (in my experiences a rare drop off a rare large fish), and 3 golden scales. This recipe only makes ONE potion. In contrast, someone could just go and ask a caster with brew potion to make these, or get a wizard to make water breathing scrolls. This potion costs way too much stuff to be viable.

The Ultrasight Tinct takes lumpfish fluid, a cod liver, 3 luminous scales (drops from a giant ocean fish that you need a good sailing crew to be able to go and get), and 3 orange roe. Only produces 3 potions, and all it does is give ultravision. You can already make ultravision potions with the brew potion feat, this recipe costs way too much in difficult ingredients for what it produces. The amount of large bait I would use to catch the sunfish for this is more expensive than an ultravision wand which gives 20-50 uses of ultravision instead of just 3.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 pm

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:18 pm
A whole boat full of wisdom!!!
I couldn't agree more with this post. I would also really like to see the variable skill bonuses on food go to fixed skill bonuses. It just seems like a silly system given so many other things just do a fixed bonus. If you have 33 in sail and full gear, a +5 fixed from a dish is just not going to make the difference to you, so simpler to be fixed.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Fri May 13, 2022 7:16 am

The variable bonuses are specifically in place to prevent best in slotting and the subsequent requirement that every single sailing trip be preceded by a feast. Rather, it is there to help lowbies top up their skills a bit. I do have some adjustments to make to that however.

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Sat May 14, 2022 5:22 am

Since I cant go into herbalist to make use of any of the craft items, my only feedback is the location of the fishing spots. Additional locations would be nice if they can be worked in. I find the ones I commonly use are tucked away, some more in more populated areas would be nice. For example, Bendir has a fishing spot behind the inn, but I'd rather have one towards the walk-bridge side of the lake there so I have more chances to talk to people as Im fishing, something that would alleviate the boredom. The existing spots are great for reserved, quiet fishing, but sometimes you wanna RP with more frequency than they offer.

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

POST update Fishing feedback

Post by DM Starfish » Thu May 19, 2022 7:01 am

I will keep that in mind as I go. Thanks!

In other news, based on feedback post update I have decided to consider the following and I'd like thoughts on it:

Buff foods:
Buff foods as they currently are aren't being used and aren't viewed as even remotely useful not to mention various complaints about the multi tiered crafting. These are all valid complaints and as such I want to un tier the recipes, separate them out a bit and remove the buff effects. They will transition to RP foods with easier recipes. They will continue to restore food and water to some degree.

Fish storage:
I've received feedback that it's weird that bait cant be stored in the tackle box and that fish can, I agree with this. I will implement a transition period where fish will be remove only from the current boxes and instead they will be stored in the hunting bag. Once this period is over hooks and bait will stored in the tackle box using the existing system that all the other containers use.

Potions:
Increase dispel DCs and output amounts

Upcoming features will be plenty more RP foods including flour as an exotic import (For now), a use for fish bones and a seasonal fishing rotation

niar3tir

Post by niar3tir » Thu May 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Can I just say thank you for the change in bait recipe?
It will make fishing in the UD - where no single insect seem to live- so much more simple and enjoyable, and not an endless wander in search of that single shop selling speckled eggs. Really, on behalf of those that do not ever see the sun, thanks! Can't wait to see it go live.
More fishing spots would be very appreciated!

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi there!

Not sure if I'm in the right place or not ... But since you mentioned this in the OP, I've noticed this:

Captain Masantil (Guld docks) still sell OLD FISHING RODS ;-)

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Post by DM Starfish » Fri May 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Yes she does sell old ones and a few other NPCs around the module do as well. I will eventually get this fixed.