Diablo Immortal

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Diablo Immortal

Post by Ping14 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:38 am

Hi, for anyone interested in playing - I have a monk in Arcane Sanctum in North American Servers in Diablo Immortal.
Send an invite if you're interested. My BNET ID is: #1648
Pop a message and invite.

This game is the reason why I'm usually not around on Arelith for the past weeks. :lol:
Its a good change of pace when you just want something casual and just bash things mindlessly.

Its very pay to win though, but my advice is this if you plan to go FTP:
1. Don't even dream about the most efficient build, just try and mix and match whatever legendaries you get.
2. Try not to think of Legendary Gems, use what the game gives you.
3. Upgrading equips from time to time, usually caps at level 5 per equip due to massive paywall/grindwall afterwards
4. Play for the story the first time around, its a good experience. Explains some of the event between D2 - D3
5. It catches the dark theme of D1 with some of the action RPG of D2.
6. PVP is very lopsided in favor of the PTW whales, don't bother with it.
7. Its a play and forget thing. Got something cool? Great. Run sucks, drop the phone and play again when you feel like it.

I'm playing FTP, my end goal is just getting some of the sets and legendaries for the build. Not even bothering with upgrades beyond the paywall.

I just wish they would instead just make it subscription based like OG WoW. Now its very much like other mobile games. PC experience even reminds you that its a mobile game, the interface - they didn't bother optimizing it for PC. But its a Diablo inside your pocket so I guess that counts? (I'd choose D2 if they have it on mobile anytime!)

Hazard

Re: Diablo Immortal

Post by Hazard » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:45 am

EW.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:17 am

Diablo 1 (+ Hellfire) is my favorite game of all time aside from NWN

Diablo II (+ LoD) is my second favorite game of all time aside from NWN

I entered D2:Resurrected with a lot of anticipation and momentum, built a few very nice characters. But, sadly I burnt myself out over the span of a few weeks, as the game does a number on my carpal tunnels after just a few days of endless clicking... That is why I decided to skip the first Ladder season for the sake of my wrists and general well being (sleep schedule etc).

They should invent a new type of mouse with which I can play Diablo 2 for ever non stop without having carpal tunnel problems

I cannot even teleport 50 baal runs without my wrists getting sore anymore :'(

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:12 pm

So, is sexual harassment a bug or a feature? :roll:

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:55 am

Blizzard doesnt leave that much bug, and if they do they usually leave it as is, so I guess you can call it a feature. :D

I've ran into a massive Paywall while playing FTP. Once you Get Paragon 40-50 (Or Hell II), levelling becomes a slow crawl especially if you're under-equipped.

Grinding doesnt help you all that much because magical items and rare are useless! They only serve as a means of getting enchanted dusts and scrap materials. Its very unlike the D2, in that a magical item can even surpass any unique or set. (Fool's claws - I remember finding this in my WWsin, its the best find ever for an off hand).

Why are uniques and magical items useless, because skills are tied to legendary equipments. That means you are only interested in using legs and sets, since any loss of one slot means a skill that is weaker than usual.

Its so grindy, honestly I dont feel like playing anymore. I just log to do some quest, but as for playing the build I want? Its impossible without eternal orbs and platinum.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:06 pm

Bruh you didn't just call sexual harassment a game feature

Anyway here's an actually cool came if you like Diablo: https://www.pathofexile.com

Richrd

Post by Richrd » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:43 pm

It's a crap P2W game by a morally bankrupt company, why even talk about it here?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 am

Richrd wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:43 pm
It's a crap P2W game by a morally bankrupt company, why even talk about it here?
^

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poolbrain » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 am

Nurel wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:17 am
Diablo 1 (+ Hellfire) is my favorite game of all time aside from NWN

Diablo II (+ LoD) is my second favorite game of all time aside from NWN

I entered D2:Resurrected with a lot of anticipation and momentum, built a few very nice characters. But, sadly I burnt myself out over the span of a few weeks, as the game does a number on my carpal tunnels after just a few days of endless clicking... That is why I decided to skip the first Ladder season for the sake of my wrists and general well being (sleep schedule etc).

They should invent a new type of mouse with which I can play Diablo 2 for ever non stop without having carpal tunnel problems

I cannot even teleport 50 baal runs without my wrists getting sore anymore :'(
You don't need to click all the time. Click once and hold the mouse button, if you teleport around for 2 minutes you only need one click. You can also assign buttons to keyboard or a controller.

Just felt like I had to say this!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 am

Some builds are less clicky too.
Necro, I can just scroll mouse wheel and hold right mouse button down throug the whole game.

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:53 pm

Richrd wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:43 pm

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:38 am

Please change title of post to more accurately reflect topic

Diablo Immoral*

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am

It looks to be in bad taste to shit talk someone's current game interest. We all play this 20 year old game, many out there surely would have comments and thoughts about that too.

If you don't like the game for whatever reason, why are you posting here?

Huelander

Post by Huelander » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am
It looks to be in bad taste to shit talk someone's current game interest. We all play this 20 year old game, many out there surely would have comments and thoughts about that too.

If you don't like the game for whatever reason, why are you posting here?
While I would usually agree with your sentiment; Diablo Immortal has actually been banned in my country for good reasons. It goes above and beyond an argument of simple preference and reaches a point of whether or not a product like this can even responsibly exist in a free market society. It's violated digital gambling laws, as lootboxes here were deemed to be gambling some 2 years ago. The game's core gameplay loop was deemed to be a 'lootbox with some gameplay in between the payment and the lootbox'. As long as it does not brand itself as a form of gambling (and thus subject to the associated regulation) it will remain illegal, for the time being.

Now. Yes, I'm told you can play the game without paying for it. And yes, I'm told you could clear all the actually relevant content before it becomes an upward number-crunch of endless upgrading, with slim odds and big payments. If you really like the game you can just play the free bits, get what you want and then call it quits. Or see what kind of difference a 100 bucks makes, even, if you were so inclined?

However this game is not even trying to peel you for a buck or two. But for twenty bucks at a time, upwards to a bottomless amount, it seems. You could easily put 25 dollar into a single dungeon run to improve your odds at good items. And that is independent of any other bonus payment plans you can 'unlock'. At least, as far as I've heard. As I am legally unable to try it out myself to confirm. There have been many speculative arguments conducted by an army of online analysts about just how many hundreds of thousands of dollars it would take to fully gear a single character for one season. So, you either open another mortgage loan to progress, play another character for a bit, until you hit the same wall, or simply quit playing. And in theory, this should be fine, right?

But this fork in the road is where it begins. For as you play the game, the game, tries to play you as well. It actively goes out of its way to constantly throw its staggering variety of premium payment plans in your face (or so I learned from a video on youtube), and this is the point in the game where these become relevant to your progression. Should you analyse these systems, as many have since done, it becomes evident that the game is doing everything it can to psychologically manipulate its players towards spending money under the veneer of giving them an optimized gaming experience. And while I don't have a very addictive personality and believe in people's ability to govern their own actions (as Ping14 clearly demonstrates to us); I can also tell a lot of talented psychologists must've worked on this product. And I do wonder if they had sold their souls to El Diablo in the process. It is rather jarring that a company thinks to treat its customers like this. The company that published the game in question is also presently involved in a number of insane scandals about how it treats its employees, but I won't be going into detail about any of that.

I would think it irresponsible to not point all of this out. Because there is a strong argument to make that guiltless consumerism of products like these is also propogating these malicious business practices. The more profit a product like this makes, the more inclined investors are to urge publishers, to have their developers hollow out their products, and imbed mechanisms like this into them. All of which is all rather unfriendly to the consumer, with corporations trying to hold the greater hobby itself in their greedy hands.

That said, these practices are already entrenched in the industry. It is why a proper sequel to Neverwinter Nights will never exist in this market. A lot of things we like about it are actually not possible in the framework of modern, big-studio game design.

Imagine, if you will. That Beamdog decides to ask money for its content updates for the Enhanced Edition (like the new renders it is developing for items and characters). By selling these as DLC independently of the game, rather then having them be free updates. But you can only log into the servers using them if you ALSO paid for the DLC yourself. Because otherwise you are "stealing" the content. And then to top it off, the developer would not allow you to upload your own custom content / haks / mods into the game, at risk of you simply copying their paid DLC and stuffing it in for free.

That would be the state of the big-studio industry, presently. And this makes people understandably upset. And while I do think there are better ways of communicating than 'shit talking' down a player, I also recognize that there is a lot of legitimate concern hiding behind it.

I hope with this, your question has been answered in full.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:08 pm

Huelander wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pm
many correct things
I understand and agree with all of that. With that said, it is possible to play without paying, and there is nothing inherently wrong with paying a bit for a game you enjoy, so long as you have some moderation and it does not seem fair to judge people for that.

You can take any personal stance you want when it comes to the game, but still doesn't seem right to come to a thread where someone seems aware of those issues, asking if someone wants to party up for some chilled fun, and just bash the game. It's akin to me buying meat at the supermarket, asking if that is beef or pork and someone jumping in the conversation saying that the meat industry is terrible. There is a time and place.

And on a slight sidetrack, you can still have a very predatory game without violating gambling laws, there are plenty of similar games out there where you have to pay for extra character slots, extra inventory space. There are plenty ways to intentionally limit gameplay in order to coerce a player to slide the card. Lost Ark has similar mechanics, also with RNG involved and I am sure many players here enjoyed the experience entirely for free, I sure did. This to say that Diablo Immortal is not alone in its practices, it's just the one to have gone farther than most others.

Huelander

Post by Huelander » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:14 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:08 pm
Huelander wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:35 pm
many correct things
polite agreement and supplementary points
It seems we are of one mind on the industry, the game and the poor reception of this thread.

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:46 pm

This is a good watch for those that are more curious about how badly they've monetized something that, at its core has a good experience. I'm disappointed myself because I would've loved a phone-mobile Diablo experience. I have D2 & D3 on my Switch which scratches that itch. It's unfortunately extremely burdened down by the current trend of just sucking money out of people without respect to the core experience. Fair warning, it's a long watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17lBUZgjTs

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:00 pm

LichBait wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:46 pm
This is a good watch for those that are more curious about how badly they've monetized something that, at its core has a good experience. I'm disappointed myself because I would've loved a phone-mobile Diablo experience. I have D2 & D3 on my Switch which scratches that itch. It's unfortunately extremely burdened down by the current trend of just sucking money out of people without respect to the core experience. Fair warning, it's a long watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17lBUZgjTs
They really went far with the monetization. Absolutely disgusting.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too