Rest Styles and Emotes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

riffraff

Rest Styles and Emotes

Post by riffraff » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am

I have a couple of questions. I notice there's the Rest Styles option in the rest menu, but I've only ever had the default sitting option available. Are there ways to unlock more or are they purely race specific?

It would be really cool to have my cleric pray or meditate instead.

And speaking of meditate, is there an emote for it? Or any additional long-term emotes not listed on the Arelith wiki? There are meditation animations (and sitting cross-legged ones) according to the NWN Vault wiki. It'd also be neat to park my cleric somewhere meditating now and then.

cold chuckle

Amateur Hour

Re: Rest Styles and Emotes

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:09 pm

The rest styles are purely race specific. Elves have a different default option since, per lore, they do not sleep but meditate for reverie (though the emote used is the kneeling/prayer emote).

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Haven

Post by Haven » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm

Type -emote ? in game and you'll get a list of the emotes you can use!

For meditation/the prayer one it's -kneel for example.

P.s You can add a ? after all existing commands from the wiki list and it will popup a box explaining the command in game. (:

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Thanks for the replies! I was aware of the -kneel emote, but it's good to know there's a full list available in game. For a meditate emote, I was thinking more a classic cross-legged sitting meditation pose. Maybe the "meditate" animation mentioned here is the praying one we have for -kneel and using altars, but it does list a cross-legged sitting one too.

I'm little surprised the rest styles are only race specific, if only because it would be cool to customise for a character and the option menu is right there.

Maybe a couple of suggestions for the suggestion box. :)

cold chuckle

Haven

Post by Haven » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:17 pm

riffraff wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Maybe the "meditate" animation mentioned here is the praying one we have for -kneel and using altars, but it does list a cross-legged sitting one too.

Wow neat! There's so many cool emotes there. Perhaps it would be a nice suggestion for the box indeed.
Throw some others in there too, like drinking while sitting (haha!)

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:47 am

I’d like it if more styles were unlocked because..

A) No one is pretending to sleep during that 10 second rest, we do that during log off generally.

B) The seated position is quite clearly awake.

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:51 am

Yeah, it's a weird choice to sit down for several seconds. Almost everyone I've RPed with either does it without comment or adjusts boots/bags/whatever. Heck, I'm pretty sure the wiki even suggests emoting it that way.

Would be super awesome if you could have prayer (a 10 second irl/few in-game minutes prayer is much more doable than a 10 second/few minutes sleep), flipping through a book (spellbook or otherwise), stretching... Something that is still visibly prepping yourself or winding down.

...I think I've talked myself into putting a suggestion in.

cold chuckle

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:32 pm

I firmly believe that Clerics + any other class that might need to pray for spells should also have the option to kneel/meditate as a rest style.