Feedback imp 2

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cagus

Feedback imp 2

Post by Cagus » Sun May 26, 2024 3:26 pm

In reaction to recent topic "Feedback imp"

Imp doesn't need the 'standard' model redone, it is fine. Is imp, looks like imp. But... my feedback is on his shapeshifting abilities.

From FR wiki:

Although imps could take the form of various animals, their natural forms...

If needed, however, imps could polymorph into a variety of beast forms and individuals ...

Common animal forms for imps included that of a spider, rat, boar, raven or goat...

Currently, they have a racial spell polymorph self, which is equivalent of 3-4 level spell. In form of 500gp scroll, 100gp per cast wand everyone else has ability to do the same. For shape changer, which imp is, this is really underwhelming as a racial bonus for (at the time) major award.
But the feedback is about other thing. This is unusable for any RP you may want to play with imp. The polymorph self makes a shapeshift, but if you change the server, you lose it. Try to teleport with the group, there goes your disguise into pixie (which is actually the only form you would use anyway).
And another thing is, every time, your character is saved, game needs to unmorph you, which means... every six minutes, every time you write -save or -transfer, or ever just barter with another character, this animation of morphing with the loudly sound will play and everyone will react to it. Not speaking about with new fey models, you cannot really make yourself bluff people anymore.

At this state, playing imp as tempted or surface (trying to contact, or contract with surfacer character) is impossible, I gave up completely and limited myself to only interact with underdark characters. And the reason is technical solution of this (otherwise) great and funny race.

And because complain can anyone, I will even give the solution. Make his shifting abilities remodeling into animals, like true familiars have now (that one via -familiar command). Or even the list from wiki I quoted above (not sure if goat model is available, but that would be hilarious). There are other races, which have this remodeling, so it is possible. You have the models for familiars already. This would make this race playable in the real position as in lore, more than just another monster most surfacers attack on spot.

Security_Blanket

Re: Feedback imp 2

Post by Security_Blanket » Sun May 26, 2024 3:36 pm

I'm not sure what the intention ever was with Polymorph, an Imp pretending to be a Pixie or an Umberhulk? The choices are sorely limited and even fewer grant an RP opportunities, and yeah for a major award seems very lackluster. I'd be like see Imp replaced with Falxugon, a devil that has just as much if not more reason to be on the Prime Material doing their thing and can also transform into a humanoid creature, Erinyes even fits for that matter.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

chris a gogo

Re: Feedback imp 2

Post by chris a gogo » Sun May 26, 2024 4:47 pm

I found the polymorph very useful during low level as it let my imp fight as a troll with decent regen, was also handy for carrying heavy loads, rp wise it was pretty much a non starter.