Sails with Laurick more realistic

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Sails with Laurick more realistic

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:35 am

As the different faction ships require their time to sail to to any of the remaining islands of the Arelith Archipelago, in a realistic travell by ship, I ask also to add that realistic feeling to the laurick Ferry travel experience. (Also for the trips to Sibayad)

Arelith is not as small like to allow instant teleport by taking a Ship in Cordor and appear in a blink in the Crow's Nest, and then, in Wharftown... and then, in Brogendenstein.

:arrow: So why not make the characters go into a Ship in the same style as those faction ships, with a sail where they had to wait some real minutes before reach each port?
While the other isles require longest sails, the sail to each Arelilth port could be like half that... 3 to 5 minutes, perhaps.

That will enhance the immersion.

[In a secondary request] I also ask for an increasing of the sailing cost for those more dangerous trips, scalating the price like this (increments that won't hurt the high level characters, but make a little more hard to those in lower levels to go to high levels towns:

Cordor - Crow's Nest: 50 gp

Crow's nest - Wharftown: 100 gp

Wharftown - Brogendenstein: 250 gp. (If there are dragons in the Dark Spires side mountains, there is a risk that dragons flight to the coast and then, that could try to sink the ship! So the trip should be more expensive.

Only the Magical gates should allow teleportation, and currently now the sail is pretty much like teleportation by some coins.

RP justification? Sure, an increase on the pirate activity that makes the laurick's service delay? more Sea monesters activity? More storms? Umberlee anger? Or just... "hey man, always was this way"

:arrow: Also... is there possible to add a VFX effect that could imitate the waves in the prow of the ship?
I saw once in a server a bucle of not damaging ice cone, used to simulate waves, and really increased the feeling of be sailing a lot!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Winter83

Re: Sails with Laurick more realistic

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:31 am

Ferry is a lowbie friendly transportation so they are not cut off from 80% of the island while they are low levels.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am

Winter83 wrote:Ferry is a lowbie friendly transportation so they are not cut off from 80% of the island while they are low levels.
but they are currently now cut off from the 80% of the island (and even more) by their own low level while they can ONLY safety visit the said towns.

Anyway the passage cost is not the important thing I am asking.

I mainly ask for that more realistic flavoured sail, as they are curently now in the travells to Kohlingen, RDI or the Sahuagin isle...
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:33 am

If a low level has no other means to reach certain hubs than a ferry (or caravan), it is quite punishing to force them into a boring "sailing event" every time that lasts a couple minutes. I'd tear my hair out. It's like lag, but constant.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:58 am

Some minutes to reach safety a place that otherway they couldn't arrive at all alive (unless they were strongly scorted) seems pretty fair to me.

What makes no sense is that you needed to wait minutes when using a caravan, you will require to walk and fight for more time even when going in a walk, but taking a ship you will arrive in... Seconds!!!

Ships are not arcane gates.

Thank you

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:12 am

A compromise I can imagine is a cut scene similarly to caravans. Only if you can travel from one dock to every other. Otherwise 3-4 cut scene sequences to reach Brog from Cordor will rob precious time from role play.

In what you suggest I see no added value aside adding a bit of realism. A sacrifice of 2-5 minutes stuck on a boat for the sake of realism, is not a good trade imho. Unless you can do something meaningful on the ship. When boarding a party and all are sucked into a "cutscene" where you can continue RP and sailing in general is sweet, but when you travel alone and need to suffer the transition progress for the sake of realism will be quite infuriating.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 am

1. You can join a sail in group and keep RPing there...

2. As you mentioned, you could meet people aboard and keep RPing...

3. 2-3-5 minutes are not going to ruin any RP experience because is a pretty small amount of time... Going alone to get gold is more steal of time for that precious RP, no doubt.

4. RP doesn't must puwn the immersion... or otherway we could just have a single map and RP in there as if we were taking a cup of cofee or a beer... No travelling wasted time at all! Pure RP!!!

Thank you

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

I am not saying will ruin RP, merely saying 2-5 mins spent on a ship I can spend on other things.

While coin-farming is the choice of the player, this system would not be a matter of control. You decide to travel you end up on a ship shaped map for 2-5 minutes which you need to wait through. Like a loading screen.

Lets take a look at the idea:
- The general concept of RP with strangers during a ship voyage sounds sweet. However:

There's an issue syncronizing PC travel.

Person A boards a ship and transported to the ship-map.
Person B arrives to the dock, and teleported to the departed ship?
How will person B end up on a ship that already left the dock.
How will person A meet with person B? Unless of course they were party bound, arrived to the shipyard at the same time and teleported to the same ship map.

Now Person A who departed earlier, after a set ammount of time arrives at Cordor and can embark on the shore.
What about person B who showed up on the ship later? Despite the ship boarded at Cordor person B still need to wait? Or grasping the opportunity that he was teleported to an already sailing ship he saved himself a good chunk of time, and need to wait much less to reach X settlement from Y?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Winter83 wrote:I am not saying will ruin RP, merely saying 2-5 mins spent on a ship I can spend on other things.

While coin-farming is the choice of the player, this system would not be a matter of control. You decide to travel you end up on a ship shaped map for 2-5 minutes which you need to wait through. Like a loading screen.

Lets take a look at the idea:
- The general concept of RP with strangers during a ship voyage sounds sweet. However:

There's an issue syncronizing PC travel.

Person A boards a ship and transported to the ship-map.
Person B arrives to the dock, and teleported to the departed ship?
How will person B end up on a ship that already left the dock.
How will person A meet with person B? Unless of course they were party bound, arrived to the shipyard at the same time and teleported to the same ship map.

Now Person A who departed earlier, after a set ammount of time arrives at Cordor and can embark on the shore.
What about person B who showed up on the ship later? Despite the ship boarded at Cordor person B still need to wait? Or grasping the opportunity that he was teleported to an already sailing ship he saved himself a good chunk of time, and need to wait much less to reach X settlement from Y?
The time account on the sail would be the same for each one, so if someone came later on the ship, will see how the other player who first aboarded, will get his destination faster.

This is also a trouble, yes, but still making the sail more realistic that the insta popping.

Thank you

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Yeah, 2-5 minutes for a hardcore player is nothing, but for a casual player I could see this being infuriating.
Not sure the teleporting issue that Winter mentioned could be sorted via coding. That sounds like a -lot- of coding hassle to get something to flow realistically, and players on the same ship arriving at the same location at different times sounds a bit strange - as if the second player is barred from walking down the gangplank!
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:49 pm

The only trouble I see on this, is that this system was not added since the start... Then, nobody would be complaining and just taking it as what it could be... Same happening with the caravan.

A way to solve this crossing ways issue, could be allowing a departure sail each X minutes, so everyone waiting to sail, could be then starting at same time and arriving aswell in the same moment to their destination. but then, this could be bringing more precious time "lost" in the sail (unless they kept precious RP in the sail time.

In my perspective, sails are a big advantage and in certain way, a bug while allow you to bypass walking travels and all danger so easily.

To do the same with a lense you need to pay from 1,750 gp to about 2,500 gp (even more if you dare to buy one without any price reduction from an npc shop).

yes, the sail is limited to:

Cordor
Crow's nest
Wharftown
Brogendenstein

But those are main settlements and there are not much more left other than Bendir, Myon and Guldorand (yes, and the Arcane Tower)... Underdark stuff is misterious to me, but I know they have also an ironclad...

So, expending 2-5 minutes should not be something about I could complain if I am getting as much advantage taking a safe sail (no chance the laurick's ship could get sunk cause Umberlee loves laurick... nor pirates menacing the Ferry lines!)

Maybe this is my perspective, as a Navy man that has been sailing for months with only a few days touching land in those days... but really makes very funny to be bypassing long distances for so cheap and so easy.

Thank you

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:27 pm

So what you're saying is that, if only we never had nice things, nobody would ever want nice things because they wouldn't know what they're missing? Sorry, but no. Last time I used the caravan was the day it was put in, because I wanted to check it out. Never touched a hurry up and wait travel system again.

The thing about RP is that it never stops, if you're doing Arelith right. Character development and interaction never stops. All this would do is take 2-5 minutes (per leg of a journey, so up to 15 minutes from Cordor to Brog) of RP interacting with the wonderful, adventure-filled areas of Arelith, and instead crams it onto a loading screen-esque map. You do not actually "create RP" this way; that's something that only players and DMs can do. I may be a minority here, but I do not play fantasy games for the "realism", and nor do I think it would be beneficial to make more people participate in what is essentially loitering RP.
TANSTAAFL

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Fun Fact: We used to do our travel system this way for the boats. You would say, "I want to sail to X" and then there was a trigger on the boat, and you'd have to get everyone in the boat in 10 seconds or something and everyone in that trigger when the boat left would sail off to wherever. Then there was a small chance you'd get attacked by pirates, and then you'd get to your destination after about 5 minutes.

We took this out because A) It was buggy, and led to circumstances in server crashes/resets where people would get stranded, and more importantly: B) The majority of people just didn't like it (for reasons stated above). That being said, if Mithreas decides this is something he wants to do something for, I wouldn't be against it, but at the same time I don't see the need for it compared to other (much cooler) projects we could be working on instead.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:42 pm

All what I can say is that I will live with this :)

Most of the convo here was a small and friendly (I hope) fight between Winter83 and my ego XD

Thank you

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:44 pm

You can always rp during these five minutes on board with others.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 pm

aaa3 wrote:You can always rp during these five minutes on board with others.
:lol:
Artos13 wrote:Fun Fact: We used to do our travel system this way for the boats...
This is all, so if that got bugged, indeed there is nothing else to say. Bugs are the frontier that none player could like to trigger.
Ecstatic wrote:So what you're saying is that, if only we never had nice things, nobody would ever want nice things because they wouldn't know what they're missing? Sorry, but no...
I agree I exceded myself by saying that (I already though it when I posted it lol... but about the second paragraph... I don't see why try a bit more of realism could be against the RP... To me, that are things not connected since the RP will always depend on the players and players+DMs performances.

A world server could be extremely realistinc, but with players with not idea what the Roleplay was... and a world server could be a potatoe, but with as good players that could be seen as a perfect immersive world.

I don't said (or i didn't expected to say such the realism was a factor sine qua non to have RP... I just asked for some enhancement on sails.

Now that Artos13 explained that it was already here but buggy... I guess there is nothing more to ask by my side in this meaning.

but please, don't think I even sugested RP requires realism.
I just asked for realism because is nicest.

Thank you

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Perhaps have a party option to go the 'rp' route, in case the party wants something like that. If not, then they can just skip ahead. Everybody wins.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:57 pm

ArcanaFTW wrote:Perhaps have a party option to go the 'rp' route, in case the party wants something like that. If not, then they can just skip ahead. Everybody wins.
As Artos said, a minor thing while they have more interesting things to work with.

Anyway, I am not in the mood of win or lose... I just asked for something that I though could be nice untill Artos stated that was a bugged feature they had to remove.

Thank you

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Player ships function pretty much this way, use them.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm

What if I misclicked?

I would rage.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:What if I misclicked?

I would rage.
I'd imagine that the ship wouldn't have a timer, so that players can spend as much or as little time on said ship. So if you misclick you would just need to press another button and you're at your destination.

MoneyTalks

Post by MoneyTalks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I think the utility of realism, in terms of server mechanics and even rp, is subject to depreciating returns. Leave it to the player's discretion. If people want to, they can rp the time passed during trips. They can RP sea sickness, or an incompetent captain, or a stormy ride.
Missing this place.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:38 pm

I hate realism arguments because if we tried to be realistic paper would be one of the most expensive commodities in the world.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Artos13 wrote:Fun Fact: We used to do our travel system this way for the boats. You would say, "I want to sail to X" and then there was a trigger on the boat, and you'd have to get everyone in the boat in 10 seconds or something and everyone in that trigger when the boat left would sail off to wherever. Then there was a small chance you'd get attacked by pirates, and then you'd get to your destination after about 5 minutes.

We took this out because A) It was buggy, and led to circumstances in server crashes/resets where people would get stranded, and more importantly: B) The majority of people just didn't like it (for reasons stated above). That being said, if Mithreas decides this is something he wants to do something for, I wouldn't be against it, but at the same time I don't see the need for it compared to other (much cooler) projects we could be working on instead.

Thank you.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Similarly, I don't see how this will add anything. I don't see anything added from Caravan cutscenes either.

Why? Arelithians are very used to morphing time for the betterment of RP. Take in mind sleeping, or fade-to-blacks, or people fainting, or wounds healing.

What I could like to see, though...

Caravan/Ship 'maps'. You board the ship with Laurick, and you enter a 'map'. On the other side of te map, there's a transition to the destination. This way you can -choose- to hang on the ferry and RP with buddies, or press on to your destination immediately. It opens up options for RP, but doesn't -force- them.