Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Scry: Unable to Locate Triggers Cooldown

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 pm

Description
==========
When scrying a target that is unable to be located for any reason, such as being warded, or them going through a transition, it triggers the 10 minute cooldown. I can't find my source, but this was confirmed to not be intended behavior, and until today, hasn't been a bug.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Scry someone that produces the failure message, 'cannot be located.'
Expected result
-----------------------
Cooldown doesn't trigger, and scry can be immediately used for another target.
Actual result
-------------------
Cooldown triggers, and character is unable to scry as if they'd successfully scried someone.
Screenshot(s)
--------------------
Misc Notes
----------------

Which Server(s)?
------------------------
Guldorand
Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------
PC - Steam
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Topgeneral

Re: Scry: Unable to Locate Triggers Cooldown

Post by Topgeneral » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:35 pm

I've had this same issue as well. Did not realize it was unintentional.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:05 pm

I always assumed this was intended. When they are not online, you don't get CD. When they are online and something prevents the scry you go on CD.

Izahne Tiller/Victoria Helbrecht - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

perseid

Post by perseid » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 pm

As someone making a completely uneducated guess I'm going to suggest that it's probably intended but undesirable. There was a dialogue change to try to cut down on how much a scrier learned ic when failing a scry. The new dialogue leaves it ambiguous to the scrier whether or not the target is warded vs. simply non-present for example. I think it could probably be intuited that the intent is one should follow the dialogue rather than the cooldown notification for gauging what their char learns but I do think modifying the cd to not trigger would make the situation less ambiguous at face value since there'd be no logical conflict of "Well why would my character think X if the cooldown only triggers in situation Y?"

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:37 pm

perseid wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 pm
As someone making a completely uneducated guess I'm going to suggest that it's probably intended but undesirable. There was a dialogue change to try to cut down on how much a scrier learned ic when failing a scry. The new dialogue leaves it ambiguous to the scrier whether or not the target is warded vs. simply non-present for example. I think it could probably be intuited that the intent is one should follow the dialogue rather than the cooldown notification for gauging what their char learns but I do think modifying the cd to not trigger would make the situation less ambiguous at face value since there'd be no logical conflict of "Well why would my character think X if the cooldown only triggers in situation Y?"
Correct! A few months ago, the feedback text and behavior was updated to be completely ambiguous in order to prevent metagaming.